Thursday, April 3, 2008

Feeling Old

A few weeks ago, on our trip home from Texas we spent Friday night with some great friends in Dallas. Doug and Matt, two of my fraternity pledge brothers, their wives Kathy and Karen respectively and each of our broods. We hosted all at the Renaissance Hotel where we overnighted for some fun at the indoor pool, some fatty pizza, and of course a little drinky. We had a blast, kids had a great time with each other, they swam their little hearts out (in an ice cold pool I might add, of course dad’s were on water duty, thanks mommies) and all passed out side by side watching an episode of Little Einstein’s on my laptop.

The adults sat around sipping Heineken from a mini keg (thanks Doug E Fresh!) and catching up. I sort of had an out of body experience that night as I watched from atop the room our circle of friends of old chatting, laughing, drinking, just like old times. Then it really hit me that we have all come so far. It is really funny to see us all older, some of us fatter, some of us more gray, some of us balding, some of us sporting crow’s feet. I saw my parents in that room, surely that cannot be us! It really blew my mind. Well Eli, face it my friend. We are old, no doubt about it.

It will be fun as more time goes by and we still just pick up where we left off. That’s the beauty of friendship, especially those that you carry from younger days. I am excited that our move to DFW will come with the added perk of being closer to all of them. Ah, the nostalgic tide is rising, best swim to the beach for an icy cold beverage before it passes for something real, like work...boo.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aww, I love those guys. Once you move to Dallas, I want to be invited to a reunion. After all, "there's no Paul on the Waltons."

Eli said...

NO TANGO COFFEE! I think a reunion is WAAAAYYYY overdue yo! Plus I still haven't seen GM, he's probably driving by now!

Anonymous said...

Yes, he's getting to be a big boy. He doesn't look like a baby anymore. I have to say he's pretty darn adorable. You need to call us next time you're in OK and we could meet at Vic's or something.