Thursday, April 3, 2008

Reaction to FRONTLINE

Reader beware, more political philosophy to follow, continue at your own risk:

I happened to catch the Monday night episode of Frontline on PBS (I know, dork) entitled “Bush’s War”. It was fascinating and incredibly frustrating at the same time. Although I did not sit through the nearly three hours of programming, the gist was made impeccably clear and opened my eyes even further to my continuing disdain with the Iraq War, the detaining of “terrorist” leaders unlawfully, and the gross abuse of power by the executive branch of our current Cheney regime. How have we allowed this to happen? We have all been sucker-punched with tactics of fear for our way of life. We have silently stood idle while our elected officials have waged a covert shift in national policy by sidestepping and manipulating the laws of our great nation like a crop of ambulance chasing, blood-sucking lawyers and PR professionals. We are now suffering the consequences of our actions as the world continues to devalue, rightfully so, our intentions of peace and protection for all. I will not get into details here; look them up if you dare. It will only piss me off even further. The whole point to this post was to simply vent.

With power comes incredible responsibility lawfully, politically, and ethically. Yet we sit by and watch those in power everyday undermine the principles for which we have our freedoms. I believe very strongly in the Bill of Rights. It is the basis of the Constitution of the United States of America. We simply do not hold accountable those that choose to circumvent those 10 powerful little statements. It is true of elected officials and corporate business leaders alike. I suppose the Milton Freedman free market economic theory of instability as cure has made its way into public and diplomatic policy and practice.

Enough, I will now step down from my soapbox and relinquish the mic. I urge you to pay attention to the foreign policies which have created our current quagmire, whether or not you agree with my point of view or not is quite frankly not the point. The point is no one should have the power to do what has been unless done so through the process set forth by our founding fathers. They were smart. Balance of power, three branches of government, checks and balances, they were all created to prevent this exact scenario. How did we let it go unchecked? We have only ourselves to blame.

No comments: